A few thoughts before I leave

A lot of people have asked what I’m doing across the world. Studying peace and conflict studies in Canada, I often feel removed from everything I read and write. This isn’t only an issue academically, but also because one sometimes forgets why the study of war and peace is so important. I met a young soldier last summer who shared with me his experiences as a child soldier with the RUF in Sierra Leone. It was his hope and resilience that left such a lasting impression on me. Reading about the Acholi people of Northern Uganda and some of the work of the organizations there, I was touched in the same way.

Development work can have its issues, however I have a strong belief that some problems, especially those outside people’s control and directed towards the most vulnerable populations, need additional aid. With this suffering persisting around the world, caused by war, droughts, disease, I believe that if one has the means, they should attempt to help in whatever ways possible. So this is the attitude that has always motivated my work and now resulted in my summer in Uganda. I’ll be working on a research project with Salvator Cusimano, attempting to shed light on local perceptions of child soldiers. While here, I’ll also work with Africa Youth Ministries and the Acholi Religious Leaders Peace Initiative, as well as other groups in Northern Uganda. My mom will also be traveling around Uganda with me the first month, providing ultrasound services for rural populations without access to advanced medicine.

So with a lot of excitement and hard work - I get ready to board my flight for Uganda. Thank you so much to everyone who provided support, friendship, and guidance throughout the year in the lead-up to the project. I really appreciate it.

To a new adventure!
- Sima

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bagan: a beautiful, magical place

A wonderful weekend hanging out and traveling around Yangon

Day 4 - HIV testing and some amazing kids