Last weekend in Yangon and traveling to Bago (and more Dalla pictures)

Four more days in Burma - I can’t believe it! I’ve made some really great friends the past two months, learned a lot about the politics of work related to legal institutional reform, and had an incredible opportunity to travel this incredible country. But I’m not gone yet so I’ll leave the reflection till then and instead share some adventures from the last few days. 

Dalla (the region across the river from Yangon) was last weekend but Sophie took some incredible pictures from there so I wanted to share a few of them. 
Bicycle taxis in Dalla

Snack sellers on the Dalla ferry
  
Dalla
Since last week was my last weekend in Yangon, Sophie and I attended every social event, and still found time to take day-trips out to Bago. We at dinner on the banks of Inya Lake at a local Burmese tea shop, went salsa dancing, and did Karaoke. I also ate barbecue on the street with Mo, Sit Maw and Ben, had a great traditional Burmese lunch with salad from Wai Wai, explored downtown Yangon again, and had had dinner on Kendawgyi Lake. And somehow went to work. Listing this all out makes me miss Burma already!


Burmese lunch at the office
Walking along Kendawgyi Lake with Ben 
Downtown Yangon
On Sunday, Sophie, Christian and I went to Bago, a town an hour and a half north of Yangon. Bago was the capital of Burma after it was relocated from Bagan (where I visited a few weeks ago). The capital would then again be relocated to Mandalay, then Yangon, and finally to Naypyidaw where it is now. Bago is a much small city than Yangon but has many beautiful religious sites surrounded by rolling hills and rice patties.

Bago
Rice patties in Bago
In Bago we rented a Tuk-Tuk and traveled around the town. We visited temples, a monastery, a cigar-factory, a python (!), and the famous four buddhas.  

A reclining Buddha 
Monastery in Bago 
Walking through the temples with Christian
Bago
A cigarette factory in Bago 
The famous Bago python 
And me reading a Burmese newspaper next to it ...
Bago
Toy gun sellers in a Bago temple...
Bago temple
Bago 
On Friday I leave for DC where I’ll be working for a month with the Native American Rights Fund. I’m really excited for this next adventure as well :)

Comments

  1. I'm going to comment since there are no comments yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really a bitchin' picture of us (me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it.  Weekend in Yangon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bagan: a beautiful, magical place

A wonderful weekend hanging out and traveling around Yangon

Coming to terms with inequality in Burma