The day after the election

The last time America elected someone so unabashedly white supremacist - 1 million people in iraq died. Hundreds of thousands more in Afghanistan and throughout the middle east. Climate change didn't exist. New Orleans was left to flood. My father’s country was branded as part of some axis of evil within all this american neocolonialism. And the whole world just prayed and wondered who was next.

I came to the U.S. because i was tired of wondering and praying from the outside. i came to support the brave organizing that somehow survives through the racism and classism and criminalization and militarization in this county. This morning, I’m praying and scared again about what’s next. But I’m also listening to my father — who woke up to tell me: Sima, we have survived and we will survive. we just need to mobilize. 

Hold each other today and hold those who fight despite it all. Because the whole world is scared.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A wonderful weekend hanging out and traveling around Yangon

Bagan: a beautiful, magical place

Coming to terms with inequality in Burma