From the streets in Ferguson and St. Louis

I came back to St. Louis this long weekend to offer my help and time to the legal team that has been set up to support local organizers. The legal team has been supporting protesters who are arrested, preparing civil rights and human rights lawsuits, and trying to spread more awareness about abuses happening out here. I also came out to stand in solidarity with the community leading what is now a powerful national movement against law enforcement abuses, and more broadly against racial and economic injustice. Finally, I came to lend my privilege and access to shed light on the reality of what is happening on the ground.

I want to share my observations from the ground here, because there has been completely irresponsible reporting by traditional media. The media has sensationalized and sought out singular instances of violence, while failing to proportionally cover the brutal police tactics used daily against peaceful protesters, as well as the truly beautiful and powerful actions organized by the local community here every day.

Standing with the peaceful protesters as a legal observer, I have seen the police act in horrifying ways. I have seen the police spray tear gas at very close range as protesters are peacefully sitting, as well as at observers trying to disperse from the area. I have seen the police in riot gear encircle a public park as protesters chant and the stress of that situation put a woman into a seizure, with no response from the police. I have seen police yell out at a peaceful crowd gathered on the sidewalk that they are engaging in unlawful assembly and that if they do not disperse, they may not only be arrested, but may also be subject to “chemical munitions.” I’ve seen tanks and the national guard roll through quiet neighborhood streets, dogs brought to intimate a crowd chanting outside a Walmart, and the police yell at a protester to shut up, unless he wants to be Mike Browned.

But I’ve also seen incredibly beautiful moments. I seen solidarity actions erupt across the country in 170 cities - all calling for action and change now. I’ve seen a small group of committed protesters stand hand in hand and with only their voices, shut down every mall in St. Louis on Black Friday to connect economic and racial justice issues. And I’ve seen the beautiful memorial set up to honor Mike Brown and the support and respect his entire community has given to his family during this long, hard, painful period.


I firmly believe that only a united movement can bring the transformative changes we need to address the horrifying abuses and inequality and racism I have witnessed here. I hope we can each find our own ways to be a part of this growing movement because this is one of the most powerful, youth-led, grassroots movements I have had the privilege to be a part of, and I continue to be inspired by it every day.

Comments

  1. It has been said that killing an innocent life is equivalent to killing humanity.
    Michael Browns of this world have mother and father like the rest of us, irrespective of the color of our skin, and they suffer the same from their loss. My head down to those who go through inconvenience of participating in a rally to support family of Michael Browns of this world and to tell them in fact "black lives matter". For those of us who cannot go that far, the least we can do is to support the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on what your father wrote. Unfortunately, most people have chosen to sit on the fence about is issue. Of all my "friends" that I've send your blog posts, so few have responded to me and none have written comments. That is sad. Thank you for reporting balanced information on these tragic events. Love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bagan: a beautiful, magical place

A wonderful weekend hanging out and traveling around Yangon

Coming to terms with inequality in Burma